Pomada Queimada by Pedro Joas

 


It's no secret that Pomada Queimada is a really potent little binder. I bought it about three months ago, and I can honestly say it's one of the most powerful books I've ever read. I've known David Cook for years, and while I didn't buy the book then, I sure have learned a lot since then. I've also bought a few other books by him, and each one has given me new skills. So, I figured I'd put David Cook's latest release in the "other books I've read" section.

The main character in Pomada queimadura is named Pedro. He's an artist living in the Basque region of Spain, and he suffers from severe depression because he feels like he's been betrayed by his own country (his own family). This book isn't in any way a romance, even though it's set in Spain. Instead, it's an interesting journey into the mind of a person trying to grapple with his deepest feelings.

You'll learn that Pedro's family doesn't approve of his artistic choices, and they don't understand why. As a matter of fact, they seem almost glad when he dies, because they finally have some peace. His best friend in the story, a girl by the name of Celia, understands what's going on but doesn't offer any comfort.

As a result, Pedro feels isolated from the rest of society. He wants to go off into the countryside and commune with nature. However, his family doesn't think this is a good idea. Celia tries to help her friend, but she still longs for the acceptance that Pedro might be feeling. In the end, it's Celia who decides that he should get counseling instead of trying to commune with nature.

What makes this novel very unique is the way it takes you into the mind of someone who's already lost. You watch as he slowly begins to realize that he's not in control of what's happening, and then slowly, his distance starts to widen. You feel for him as he realizes what's really going on. The author subliminally gives us the sensation that this could happen to anyone.

I read the book while I was in the hospital receiving treatment for breast cancer. Although I'm not a fan of medical fiction (in general), I couldn't help myself from buying this book. I wanted to finish the last pages before I left the hospital. After reading it a couple of times, I want to know what happens to Pedro and Celia after the events of the story.


SHARE

Milan Tomic

Hi. I’m Designer of Blog Magic. I’m CEO/Founder of ThemeXpose. I’m Creative Art Director, Web Designer, UI/UX Designer, Interaction Designer, Industrial Designer, Web Developer, Business Enthusiast, StartUp Enthusiast, Speaker, Writer and Photographer. Inspired to make things looks better.

  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment